Tuesday 22 April 2014

Inspiration - The classic Breton Shirt with a modern touch

I can't help but notice lately that the classic Breton shirt seems to be popping up everywhere on the internet making an appearance on a number of celebrities like Kate Middleton and Miranda Kerr. The classic Breton shirt is usually made out of stretch or jersey so it is comfortable to wear and also adds a classic, elegant touch to an otherwise casual outfit. Its been on my sewing hit-list for a number of months now and with the weather finally below 30deg I think its high time I make one for myself.

This is my sewing inspiration from Alexander Wang. I love how they've used the larger striped fabric for the top of the shirt and smaller stripes for the rest which gives the shirt a modern take on the classic Breton.



Im planning to use the Ensis Tee pattern from Papercut Patterns (currently in the mail to me all the way from New Zealand!!). As you can see this pattern allows for using two different coloured fabrics which is what I'm hoping to achieve... perfect match really!



Finding stretch knit/jersey fabric with larger and smaller stripes shouldnt be too hard and I'm hoping to bind the neckline in the same dark blue coloured fabric as the stripes.

Eventually I'm hoping to style it like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment